Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gaga for Guns


President Obama once got into hot water for stating some people "cling to their guns".  As I take in our national debate about the 2nd Amendment, I wonder how unfair that statement is? I've heard many Americans passionately defend their love of firearms. Do some gun owners have some deep primal need to hold such power in their hands? Is this born out of insecurity, distrust, or a simple need to feel safer? Why do some Americans feel incomplete without guns, almost like Linus feels without his blanket? I keep asking these questions, which inspired some strange drawings...

45 Caliber Cradle?

...embryotic chamber?

...Formula 45?

baby holster?

semi-automatic-stroller?

Happiness in a warm gun?

Pen & Ink on Strathmore drawing paper.

“I’m a Catholic deer hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion.”
~ Paul Ryan

"I happily cling to my guns and my God, even if President Obama thinks
that that is a simpleminded thing in his elitist heart."
~ Rick perry

"We say keep your change, we'll keep our God, our guns, our constitution."
~ Sarah Palin

Thanks for viewing. You can see weekly lists here, here and here.

4 comments:

  1. Great drawings, and smart work, as always, Dano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Graham! It was interesting to explore America's strange love affair with guns. This led to some very bizarre drawings (which are hopefully thought-provoking).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan:

    Very powerful and well-thought out illustrations! and definitely thought-provoking!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ellen! These drawings are rather infantile, but then again, they're about America's obsession with guns. Thanks for viewing!

    ReplyDelete