Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Weekly List: Joe


There's nothing average about Joe. This name can refer to some of our greatest leaders, athletes, musicians, and dogs. On another end of the spectrum, some of the most insidious, evil and cancerous characters are named Joe. Heck, there's even a cup of coffee named Joe! This guy is all over the place. Here's my weekly list - an attempt to draw a bunch of Joe's.

Joe Strummer - founder of "The Only Band That Matters", The Clash

Dr. Joseph Mengele - German SS officer and a physician in the Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz

Joe Cool (Snoopy's alter-ego)
Vice President Joseph Biden - contemplating gun control?

Joe Paterno - legendary football coach who's legacy was tainted by a horrific sexual-abuse scandal.

Joe Dimaggio - Legendary N.Y. Yankee (who was once married to Marylin Monroe)

Cup of Joe - a name possibly derived from 'a cup of jamoke' (a compound of Java and Mocha)

G.I. Joe - action figure

Joe Camel - former spokes-camel for Camel Cigarettes

Joseph McCarthy - U.S. Senator who exploited people's fear of communism


Thanks for viewing.

I'd love your suggestions for other Joe's I should add to this list.

In case you missed it, you can view last week's list right here.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Graham. It's such a challenge to capture the likeness of a famous person. This exercise makes me really appreciate your masterfulness at portraiture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your visual history of notable "Joe's", Dan. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathy. Joe is/was quite a guy, and quite a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe Smo came to mind..could be anybody. Average Joe...
    Loved your work hanging at taste Budd's by the way...brought me to your website:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great feedback, anonymous. I just looked up the origins of Joe Schmoe, which comes from the Yiddish word, "schmuck". Very interesting, my next list may have to be illustrated Yiddish terms. Thanks for your nice words, and I'm thrilled that you liked my exhibit:)

    ReplyDelete