Friday, May 31, 2019

Mark Rothko


Here's a portrait of abstract expressionist, Mark Rothko, drawn on a reproduction of his painting, Orange and Yellow. Growing up in Buffalo, NY, I visited the Albright Knox Art Gallery regularly, and even had an internship there in high school. The main draw of this museum is their world-class collection of abstract expressionist paintings.  I drew this portrait of Mr Rothko on a reproduction of a painting that hangs in their main gallery, one of which I've sat in front of many times. His work has a meditative quality which is capable of sending viewers to far off places. It felt fitting to create this portrait on a painting which has meant so much to me. I wonder if you similarly about any painting in your life?

Prints of this piece are available here!

No comments:

Post a Comment