Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hip-Hop Name-Changes


I'm fascinated by the streamlining of corporate names. For example, International Business Machines morphed neatly into the iconic IBM.  Or, Bavarian Motor Works slimmed down to the sleek BMW.  Something similar occurs in the world of hip hop. Recently, I read that Jay-Z was removing the hyphen in his name, so he'd simply be known as Jay Z. Another rap mogul dieted down from Puff Daddy to P Diddy, and eventually to just Diddy.  I tried an experiment - integrating these artist's images with their name changes. Eminem once said that 'words are like puzzles'. I like to play with words and images - to see how they all fit together.


Another artist started his career with the fun-loving moniker, Snoop Doggy Dogg. With fame, he became known simply as Snoop Dogg. Upon discovering the Rastafarian religion,  he transformed into reggae artist, Snoop Lion. This may be the first case where a dog was successfully re-branded into a cat.




My apologies to Snoopy. I'm not sure how a beloved Peanuts character got into this drawing.

"When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up 
an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg."
~ Snoop Dogg


2 comments:

  1. Still laughing about Snoop - etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous! This is one of the sillier posts I've put together, but I'm thrilled it got some laughs:-)

    ReplyDelete